Marguerite K. Kingsmill
MARGUERITE K. KINGSMILL is a founding partner in the firm's New Orleans office. Ms. Kingsmill has handled transactional and litigation matters, with an emphasis in complex commercial, construction and bankruptcy cases; gaming and regulatory matters. Ms. Kingsmill has represented parties in each of the following areas: oil and gas, manufacturing, maritime, oil field services, gaming, and commercial real estate (hotels, office buildings, gaming facilities, development and leases). Ms. Kingsmill's representation in the construction field has defined aspects of the public bid law in Louisiana.
Ms. Kingsmill has over twenty-five years of experience in litigating cases before Louisiana state and federal courts, presenting cases to arbitration panels and briefing and arguing cases before Louisiana state and federal appellate courts, and over fifteen years of experience in litigating cases in Texas. Ms. Kingsmill's experience has involved all aspects of commercial litigation, including disputes involving commercial and residential construction, real property development, oil and gas interests, employment, partnerships, contracts, leases, trade secrets and indemnity provisions.
With respect to bankruptcy matters, Ms. Kingsmill has represented secured and unsecured creditors in major Chapter 11 corporate reorganization proceedings and has been retained as special counsel to the debtor on a variety of matters. Ms. Kingsmill has litigated numerous Chapter 11 adversary proceedings in courts throughout the United States and contested matters to a successful conclusion. Many clients have retained Ms. Kingsmill to represent their interests in Chapter 11 matters pending throughout the United States in order to pursue the acquisition of property of the estate.
Ms. Kingsmill has handled transactional matters, both maritime and non-maritime with an emphasis in mergers and acquisitions, and complex real estate transactions.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Transactional and Litigation Matters
- Complex Commercial Matters
- Construction and Bankruptcy Cases
- Gaming and Regulatory Matters
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Complex Real Estate Transactions
- Louisiana, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D - 1981
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee
- B.A. (Cum Laude) - 1978